Martha and I are watching "Scrooge" right now and Ebenezer is currently with The Ghost of Christmas Present. The Ghost is teaching Ebbie about all of the wonderful things that life has to offer for those who are willing to reach out to their brothers in loving kindness. Lucky for me, this version of "Scrooge" is a musical, so Mr. S and his supernatural friend are singing a delightful ditty entitled "I Like Life." In between getting the fire roaring in our fireplace and creating the masterpieces that are my s'mores, I managed to tune into their song. I caught enough of the song to start thinking about how much I like my own life. You know, I could probably find a million things "wrong" with my life, but the reality is that my life is most delightful. I really do like life. It's as simple as that.
This weekend, Martha and I got a Christmas tree. It's a delightful bit of four-footed (as in 4' tall, not as in it has four feet) beauty. It's been a few years since I've had a real tree in my home and having it here now, I can't believe I went so long without one. What a delight! Somehow, having a tree brings in the Christmas spirit faster than hot cocoa and caroling. Okay, maybe not faster than either of those things, but having a tree really is great. The end.
Tonight was the First Presidency Christmas Devotional and, I must say, I'm always surprised by the overwhelming love that I feel for the Brethren of the Church. They really are the sweetest, most Christ-like men who have a fantastic ability to motivate the members of the Church to be and do better. Elder Faust told a particularly sweet story about a single mother who was the beneficiary of several anonymous acts of kindness. I felt very inspired to reach out to my brethren and sisters in anonymous service. When we reach our to serve simply for the sake of serving, the rewards are much greater than the accolades of men could ever be.
Isn't it amazing how the Holiday season has such a power to instill goodwill among all? I think it is fascinating. I think I've been a bit Scrooge-y in my old age. I'd like to change that this year. This Holiday season, I want to focus more on the Savior and his example in reaching out to all those who are in need. I know that reaching out in love and service will bring a greater closeness to my Heavenly Father. I really am looking forward to it.
Happy Holidays, my friends. And it's only the beginning.
Sunday, December 03, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Yeah, life is pretty good huh? Thank you for reminding me.
I really enjoyed the broadcast last night as well. I'm trying to think of ways to make this season more meaningful. Let me know how it goes for you.
Love ya, friend!
Happy Holidays to you too!
Post a Comment