Monday, September 01, 2008

off to the races.

for the past 3 years, i've been meaning to get down to del mar for the horse races. the closest i got was 3 months ago when i met my friend at the beach in del mar. okay, so that's not really close at all. i mean, it's close geographically, but that's it. anyway, so when a subcontractor offered tickets to their suite at the 4th turn, i was so in! i rustled up m'girls - katie and tessa - and headed on down. because the labor day traffic was RIDICULOUS, we decided to take the train. yeah. it's not as glamorous as you would think. but it was super fun. we made some memories on that trip. good times.
when we finally got to the races, the first order of business was to stuff our faces with the delicious spread. oh, yeah. we watched a couple of races. and we may or may not have placed a bet. not with money, mind you, but with our dignity. that's right, our dignity was on the line people. katie, tessa and i each picked a horse in the race. here were the stakes: whoever had the losing horse had to wear the giant red hat flower to church. for all three meetings. that's right. high stakes, indeed. katie lost. and wore the flower. for all three meetings. the best part was when, in the combined priesthood/relief society meeting, the bishop gave a shoutout to katie and asked her to stand up for everyone. it couldn't have worked better if i'd planned it. oh, by the way, my horse got first place. what's better than cash money in my pocket? why, katie's dignity of course. good times.

4 comments:

Jared Wilstead said...

I love the horse races! I wish I was there...

Aubrey Messick said...

Ahahaha! I love it! When I asked Katie how her weekend was she left that detail out. I would've payed money to see that one! Good times!!!

Gosfam said...

That sounds so fun!! You look so perfect for the races!! Hat and all is lovely!!

Violet said...

I was cracking up by the end of your story and I don't even know the other two girls.

You actually can pull off a hat like that. You look fabulous darling!

By the way I just signed up for facebook. Are you on it?

Related Posts with Thumbnails