Sunday, August 20, 2006

Los Huerfanos

Hola, amigos!
I just went down to visit the orphanages in Mexico this weekend and had a most glorious time! I hadn't been in awhile and had forgotten how great it is. The 5 o'clock (yes, in the morning) wake up call is always a bit of a struggle but that is quickly forgotten once the kids see us coming down the hill and their little faces light up. It is truly a thing of beauty. This week, I visited El Faro, an orphanage built on top of a landfill. That's right, a landfill. I had so much fun! We colored, played football, blew bubbles and laughed our head off - it was good times all around.
The group I go down with, Corazon de Vida, organizes monthly trips to the 14 different orphanages they currently support. CDV is a non-profit organization that provides for the most basic needs of the children in these orphanages (food, water, utilities, etc.). It's great to work with a group that allows you to see the fruits of your labors. We raise money and then we get to go to the homes and see how that money has been put to use. It's a beautiful thing.
In all honesty, working with the children in the orphanages has changed my life. It is more fulfulling than I have words to express. I have always had opportunities to serve others but participating in this cause goes above and beyone anything I've experienced before.

3 comments:

B said...

Oh my goodness....she is the cutest little girl! Could you just gently put her in your suitcase and take her home with you?!?!

Sarah said...

That sounds fun. How long do you go down there for? Is it like a weekend trip or longer or what? She is adorable by the way!!!

American Girl said...

What an neat opportunity! Glad you take advantage of it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails