Wednesday, April 09, 2008

American Idol is the Devil

Okay, American Idol isn't really the devil. But I basically spent the past two hours watching "American Idol: Idol Gives Back" and bawling over all the stories of the children and families in New York, Africa, New Orleans, Tennessee and a host of other places that are ravaged by crime, poverty, AIDS, lack of education, malaria and other horrifying things that are beyond my ability to comprehend. It makes me so sad to see the things that children are forced to deal with simply because they are victims of circumstance.
At the same time, I can't help but be so grateful for the fullness of the gospel that teaches us that this life is such a small part of our eternal existence. I know that, long term, those children that suffer will be the first to be enfolded in the loving arms of our Savior.
The other thing that always strikes me, is how incredibly happy and resilient these "suffering" people are. I once read a quote that said, "Pain is inevitable, but misery is optional." These people suffer from illness, fatigue and lonliness but there is a joy and hope in their faces that is incredibly inspiring.
I often feel helpless in my attempts to make this world a better place. The problems are so large and I am just one person. I have spent many hours traveling to Mexico to volunteer at orphanages and participating in ONE rallies to help fight the spread of AIDS. I don't doubt that these things contribute to the greater good, but I always think that it's never enough. Fortunately, there is something I can do, something we ALL can do that doesn't take too much time. Just a little paradigm shift. We can be grateful. We can pray for an understanding that less really is more and that we are too abundantly blessed to be unhappy over unfulfilled wish lists. And, as much as I hate to say it, there's always someone that has it much worse than we do. Always.
As for American Idol, I'll continue to dedicate a couple of hours a week to watching these talented people fight for their dream of making it big. Maybe American Idol really IS the devil. Well, add it to my list of flaws. What can I say? I love pop culture. David Cook is my one true love.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails