Thursday, May 04, 2006

Mad Hot Ballroom

So, I'm gettin' ready for bed and the Biore Clear Pore Strip says I have to let it sit on my nose for 10-15 minutes while it hardens like paper mache and rips the dirt out of my clogged pores. TMI, I know. Sorry. Anyhoo, I figured I'd make good use of the 10-15 minute tidbit and tell you about the awesome experience I had at the Hilton Los Angeles tonight. Here goes. Mary, my co-worker, has been taking ballroom lessons for sometime now and invited me to attend a Pro/Am Ballroom Competition that is running Thursday through Sunday of this week. I absolutely accepted and tonight was the night. Oh. My. Goodness. Are you kidding me? A live ballroom dancing competition is without a doubt one of the most amazing things I have ever seen. I don't even have the word to tell you how awestruck I was the entire time. But let me try to find the words to tell you about one of the highlights of the evening. Now, to start, I was a little disappointed that I was only going to be able to go Thursday night because they were doing the Quickstep (one of my favorite ballroom dances categorized as American Smooth in the ballroom world) another night. Nevertheless, I agreed to make the sacrifice and take the available ticket for Thursday night. Let it suffice to say that it was pretty much the best thing that could've ever happened! I got to see the Junior Ballroom Competition! In ballroom terms, I got to see the little 12 and under-year-olds shake their groove thangs on the dance floor. And shake them they did! I've got videos (taken covertly with my trusty digital camera) for anyone that wants to see it - lemme know and I'll email it to you. Seriously, these kids were amazing. One couple (both 11 years old) competed against the teenagers and BEAT them. The way they moved on the dance floor absolutely defies description. I managed to catch up with the father of the girl champ while she and her partner were posing for pictures with all of their 80 gamillion trophies. The conversation went a little something like this:
Me: Hi! They did great tonight, eh?
Father (in thick Eastern European accent): Yes. (nodding and
smiling vigorously)
Me: Are they brother and sister?
Father: No. Not brothers. (More nodding and smiling)
Me: Oh! Just friends? Partners?
Father: Yes! Partners, partners! (Continued nodding and smiling)
M: How old are they?
F: They have 11 years of age each.
M: Eleven! Wow! They are very good. How long have they been dancing?
F (still smiling and nodding): They have been dancing since 2 and
half years.
M: Oh? For two and a half years?
F (shaking head in negatory fashion and extending hand palm down
close to floor) No. Since they had two and half year. For 9 year they
dance.
M: What?! They've been dancing for nine years?!
F (smiling and nodding again): Yes, yes. For 9 year.
M: How long have they been dancing together?
F: This partner, six months. That partner (pointing to an boy
standing nearby) her partner before boy. (He then goes on to
gesture wildly in an attempt to communicate what I think is
something about the boy partner growing too much and making it
impossible for the boy and girl to partner anymore. Meanwhile, I
smile and nod.)
M: Where are you from?
F: I from Armenia. Boy from Ukraine. Girl from Armenia.
M: Oh, Armenia? I thought maybe she was Persian.
F (smiling and nodding): Yes, Armenia.
M (smiling in general direction of posing children): Okay, well, good
luck with everything. Congratulations!
F: (Smiles and nods)
Now, I don't share this to mock or joke about the broken English of this dear man but simply to highlight the fact that these people come from all over the world to get their kids into good ballroom programs. I mean, these kids are supporting their families on what they're pullin' in from these competitions. It simply astounds me. Most parents can't even get their kid to tie their shoes or clean their rooms - how the heck can they teach them to swivel their hips or the difference between the rhumba and the samba (I can barely explain the difference). It's all very amazing and very foreign to me. Craziness.
In closing, I will say this about ballroom. It's pretty much my sport. I mean, c'mon, anything with a plethora of sequins and tons of makeup is just right up my alley. Bring on the over the top outfits and hairstyles that defy the laws of physics. I'm eatin' it up.
With love for 11-year-old ballroom dancers who kick teenagers butts! Best of luck to 'em.

1 comment:

Kate said...

I. Am. So. Jealous!

Related Posts with Thumbnails